Teaching Award 2022
I recently won the MBS Teaching Award. Being asked in an interview about what I feel is important in my teaching and what students value in me, I replied:
I self-identify as a Management Professor with head, heart and hand. I think this slogan represents nicely what I stand for in teaching. Of course, university courses are first and foremost about content – that’s the head. That means we need good texts, cases and other media as a basis for presentations and discussions. Next is the heart, the passion: I burn for the courses and the content I teach. The students also notice this and regularly feed this back to me. Finally comes the hand, the doing and trying out. Experimentation plays an important role, especially in digital contexts. That’s why I think it’s important that we build prototypes and websites, visit trade fairs, and invite practitioners to engage in dialogue. These type of experiences also distinguish MBS as a business school from many other higher education institutions, especially traditional universities.
I have been teaching at undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and executive level at several business schools throughout Germany and internationally:
- BSP Business & Law School (BSP)
- German Graduate School of Management and Law (GGS)
- (now the TUM Campus Heilbronn)
- McGill University (McGill), Desautels Faculty of Management
- Munich Business School (MBS)
- Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg (OvGU), Faculty of Economics and Management
- Sheffield Business School, Sheffield Hallam University (SHU)
Here is a selection of courses I have been teaching:
- Critical Thinking in Business Administration (DBA)
- Contemporary Issues in Business Administration (DBA)
- Business Research Methods (BA, DBA)
- Digital Business & Innovation (BA)
- Digital Transformation (MSc, MBA)
- Digital Sports Management (MA)
- Human Resource Management in a Digital Age (MBA)
- Idea Development & Start-ups (Business Planning) (BA)
- Innovative Leadership (MA)
- Online Communities & Open Innovation (BA)
- Online Marketing (MA)
- Product Lifecycle Management (BA)
- Social Media Marketing (MA)
In addition, I have been developing customized, corporate courses (executive education, in business school jargon).
If you are interested in the delivery of any of the courses above (or something related), simply reach out to me to inquire about content, availability and rates.
As a result of my long-term interest in social media and online communities, I have had the chance to develop curricula for degree programs in social media on both an undergraduate (BA) and graduate level (MA) for the International University (IU). Here is the module overview for the BA in Social Media.
In terms of teaching philosophy – and beyond the statement above – I tend to be perceived as an energetic and passionate lecturer with lots of class interaction/discussion, based on real-life applications, cases, and projects. I have recently written up (with colleagues) the didactical concept of the course HRM in the Digital Age (here’s a separate blog post with some background information). It nicely summarizes my approach to teaching and learning.